Sunday, February 18, 2007

Things To Come

Little One is sleeping now (oh, the miracle of swaddling) and I actually got a full(ish) night's sleep, so I'm feeling rather mellow right now.

You know what I can't wait for? When she is old enough to start reading. Because my child will be a reader. Or at least, I hope she will. Because there are so many awesome books I want to share with her. Stuff I read when I was little. Stuff I am reading now. And I hope that she loves books as much as her mommy, because TV is just no substitute for a good book. Now, I'm not one of those, "We won't have a TV in the house it rots your brain" type parents. But I think it sucks that not many people read actual books anymore. It seems like everything is being replaced by electronic devices.

It makes me sad.

Some people will never know the joy of re-reading a book you've read who knows how many times, just because the story and the characters are so awesome. Or smell that old book smell. Or know how great it is to find books from your childhood that you loved but had forgotten about. Or stay up all night reading because the book is so good that you just have to know what happens next.

So I hope my kid is a reader. I don't want her to miss out on the awesomeness that is books.

And does it make me a total dork that I just CANNOT wait for the last Harry Potter book to come out? And that I may have to find a babysitter for little one (or bribe the husband) so that I can go out and buy it at midnight and then stay up all night reading it, like I did with the last two books?

Maybe.

Oh well.